Employee Code of Conduct
WVU EMPLOYEE CODE OF CONDUCT
Learn what it means to live like a Mountaineer.
At West Virginia University, our values define us. They represent who we are
and what we aspire to be. By living our shared values, we can create a positive
workplace for the approximately 8,000 employees who call WVU home.
The WVU Employee Code of Conduct defines the minimum behavioral expectations for faculty and staff while at work. Learn about the Code and how you can live like a Mountaineer every day.
The professional conduct of West Virginia University (WVU) employees is critical to the fulfillment of the University’s mission, vision and values. The success of our University is built upon the concept of our employees and officials conducting themselves in a manner that demonstrates WVU’s values: Service, Curiosity, Respect, Accountability and Appreciation.
Our collective efforts to behave in a manner consistent with WVU’s values will promote a positive work environment and lead to success in reaching our institutional goals.
This Code of Conduct outlines how WVU expects our employees to perform our work and interact with all members of the University community, including students, other WVU employees and visitors. It applies to all University employees, regardless of position or rank, on all WVU campuses. This Code also applies to any individual using University resources or facilities, receiving funds administered by WVU and any volunteers representing the University.
WVU promotes freedom of expression and open communications. The University supports and encourages everyone to express their thoughts and concerns in a respectful manner. Leaders should provide fair and equitable treatment of others and create a positive, diverse, inclusive work environment.
WVU expects all employees to abide by these standards, to protect the University by complying with state and federal laws and regulations, and to follow professional standards of conduct and/or ethical requirements applicable to a specific assignment or discipline.
WE SEEK OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE OTHERS AND COMMIT TO PROVIDING THE HIGHEST QUALITY OF SERVICE.
- Be an ambassador of WVU and avoid conduct that reflects adversely on the image
of the University.
- Contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit.
- Interact with others in a positive, respectful and appropriate manner.
- Take initiative to help and seek solutions and/or resources and follow up as
- Respond in an appropriate timeframe and manner to phone calls, email and work-related
- Be transparent and honest in our interactions with others and share relevant
WE ASK QUESTIONS AND SEEK NEW OPPORTUNITIES AND CHANGES THROUGH INNOVATION.
- Welcome questions without defensiveness and focus on the issue and not the person.
- Accept and encourage change that is for the greater good.
- Think broadly and engage others from other departments to get a diverse perspective.
- Find ways to remove barriers and strive to improve processes.
WE ARE RESPECTFUL, TRANSPARENT AND INCLUSIVE WITH EACH OTHER.
- Interact with others, regardless of position, in a courteous manner using appropriate
tone and volume.
- Treat others with fairness, kindness, civility and dignity.
- Be attentive and show interest when others are speaking.
- Be open to different thoughts and opinions and cultures while focusing on the
- Respect the decisions that have been made in the best interest of the University.
- Respect the property of the University and others, whether material or intangible.
WE PERFORM AT OUR VERY BEST EVERY DAY TO CREATE A UNIVERSITY THAT IS RESPONSIVE, EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE.
- Protect the confidentiality of personal and University information.
- Conduct ourselves in a manner that promotes a safe environment.
- Seek help as needed and take responsibility for our actions.
- Be engaged and productive while contributing to collective successes.
- Avoid conflicts of interest and disclose potential conflicts of interest.
- Ensure that personal relationships do not interfere with the performance of work
or the management of human and financial resources.
- Report to work fit for duty, free from all substances that impair our ability
to perform job duties in a safe, secure, productive and effective manner.
WE SUPPORT AND VALUE EACH OTHER'S CONTRIBUTIONS AS WE BUILD A COMMUNITY THAT IS ONE WVU.
- Acknowledge individual and departmental achievements.
- Express sincere gratitude to one another.
- Listen to gain understanding and be considerate and responsive to the needs of
- Recognize those who live the WVU Values.
WVU encourages the use of the Go Beyond recognition portal by employees to express appreciation to co-workers and supervisors.