Performance Management is an ongoing process utilized by management to strategically align employee’s goals and activities, aid employees in understanding how their work contributes to the organization and provide clear performance objectives, coaching, feedback and recognition for outstanding work.
Performance Management is an expectation of all those within a management/supervisory role within the organization as set forth within the Board of Governor’s Talent & Culture Rule 3.8 – Performance Management.
The performance review process gives supervisors an effective tool to provide formal feedback to their employees in addition to the ongoing feedback that occurs throughout the year. We expect that all classified and non-classified employees receive a performance review on an annual basis. Complete instructions for the performance review cycle and process can be found on the Performance Review page.
Supplemental Resources and Forms
- Accessing Blue – the link to access Blue; the performance management electronic tool. Once on the website, select "Emp_Reviews" from the drop down menu on the main page to access your Blue dashboard.
3 Tips for How to Write Effective Feedback – a visual of 3 areas to focus on when providing effective feedback
- WVU Valuable Performance Tool – a visual on how the rating of valuable performer is living the WVU Values and Code of Conduct
- The Art of Receiving Feedback Infographic – a visual on receiving feedback
- Managers Check In Form – a frequent feedback worksheet for managers to document discussions with employees
5 Weekly Questions – a weekly feedback worksheet for manager to document discussions with employees
2x2 Feedback Form – a worksheet for employees and managers to discuss successes and areas of improvement
Conversation Planner – a worksheet to plan conversations
- SMART Goal Setting – a resource to help establish goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-oriented, and Time-based
- Setting New Goals – utilized to set project goals for the upcoming review period
SMART Goals worksheet – a worksheet to help create SMART goals
- WVU Performance Reviews Supervisor Guide – a supervisor guide in navigating Blue, the performance management electronic tool
- Performance Review Demo Video – a video demonstration on completing a performance review in Blue
Performance Review Guidelines - Descriptors –
provides a one page process guideline, and provides the
descriptors of each performance element upon which employees are rated
- Performance Review Meeting Guidelines – a concise, simplified visual of how a review meeting should flow
- Performance Review Best Practices – a one-page resource for leaders to help prepare for and deliver recommended best practices performance appraisals
- Performance Improvement Plan – utilized to set a formal plan in place to address performance and development needs; should be utilized with the assistance of Employee Relations