WVU Retirement Roadmap Sessions
If you are planning on retiring from WVU in the next few years you do not want to miss this opportunity to learn about the retiree benefits available to you.
Topics in clude:
- Retirement eligibility guidelines;
- Retiree benefits, including eligibility to use sick leave and/or faculty service credits to pay for some or all of your retiree health insurance costs;
- Income options available with your TIAA and/or WV Teachers Retirement System retirement accounts; and
- Medicare enrollment requirements as it relates to the retiree health benefits.
Virtual Retirement Roadmap Sessions
Retirement Roadmap virtual sessions will be held to continue practicing social distancing measures. Please register below to receive the Zoom link to join the session.
Retirement Roadmap Fall 2021 Session ScheduleDates and times are subject to change.
|Tues., Oct. 5||1:30 p.m.||TIAA Participants||Register Now!|
|Wed., Oct. 6||9 a.m.||State Teachers Participants||Register Now!|
|Wed., Oct. 13||1:30 p.m.||TIAA Participants||Register Now!|
|Thurs., Nov. 4||9 a.m.||TIAA Participants||Register Now!|
Important Retirement Milestones
- At any time: Contact your retirement income vendor directly to discuss your retirement income options.
- Within 6 months of retirement:
- Contact WVU Benefits Strategy at firstname.lastname@example.org or (304) 293-8405 to enroll in or decline your retirement benefits.
- If you carry State Teacher's Retirement System (STRS) as your retirement income vendor, reach out to State Teacher's to request your retirement benefit estimate. Return completed application to STRS with all requested forms and required information.
- Within 4 months of retirement (if applicable):
- Contact your local Social Security Office, enroll online, or contact the national Social Security office at 800-772-1213 if you would like to begin drawing your Social Security benefit and/or enroll in Medicare. You may apply for your Social Security benefit up to 4 months in advance, and Medicare up to 3 months in advance.
- 1-2 months prior (or more):
- Notify your department of your retirement date (sooner is better).
- Follow up with your retirement income vendor as needed.